Women's and Gender Studies examines human behaviour, institutions and cultural contexts in order to reveal and analyze the prevailing assumptions about gender, sexuality, and social diversity on which they are based. The program provides students with a broad analytical vision of the world, and explores a wide variety of topics ranging from changing economic and political roles to representations of gender and sexuality in popular culture.
It examines the changing positions of women, men, and people of all genders, racialized and cultural groups, abilities, ages, and ethnicities, creative and resistant practices that contribute to evolving understandings of gender as it intersects with other identity categories, primarily within Western societies but also in cross-cultural and transnational contexts. It utilizes interdisciplinary approaches to such topics as the relation between gender constructions, gendered patterns of language use in contemporary society, the role of gender in processes of identity formation and socialization, representations of gender in literature, art, music, performance and religion, and the changing economic and political roles of women and other marginalized groups. While Women's and Gender Studies sometimes utilizes concepts developed within longer-established disciplines, it has developed distinctive conceptual frameworks and analytic methodologies which challenge and complement those of other academic disciplines.
The major average in Women’s and Gender Studies programs includes the grades earned in:
- All WGST and all courses listed in the Major Requirement B4.
Residency Requirements in the Major
To receive a degree in Women’s and Gender Studies, students must complete at least two-thirds of the following coursework (to the nearest highest multiple of 3 credit units) from the University of Saskatchewan.
- Minimum requirements in Major Requirement B4.
See Residency for additional details.
- Bachelor of Arts Honours (B.A. Honours) - Women's and Gender Studies
- Bachelor of Arts Four-year (B.A. Four-year) - Women's and Gender Studies
- Bachelor of Arts Three-year (B.A. Three-year) - Women's and Gender Studies
- Bachelor of Arts Double Honours - Women's and Gender Studies - Major 1
- Bachelor of Arts Double Honours - Women's and Gender Studies - Major 2
- Women's and Gender Studies - Minor