With the recommendation of the unit, direct entry Ph.D. admission is available to exceptionally strong students, who show great promise in terms of academic accomplishments and potential for research.
- Language Proficiency Requirements: Proof of English proficiency may be required for international applicants and for applicants whose first language is not English.
- a cumulative weighted average of at least a 80% (U of S grade system equivalent) in the last two years of study (i.e. 60 credit units)
- a four-year honours degree, or equivalent, from a recognized college or university in an academic discipline relevant to the proposed field of study
For more information on language proficiency requirements, see the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Academic Policies for more information.
Students must maintain continuous registration in the 996 course.
- GPS 960.0
- GPS 961.0, if research involves human subjects
- GPS 962.0, if research involves animal subjects
- BIOE 990.0
- BIOE 996.0
- Within the first year of the program, successfully complete a Ph.D. Qualifying Examination that is at least as rigorous as the defence for a Master’s thesis in the program area.
- a minimum of 18 credit units
- at least 9 credit units of course work at the graduate level must be successfully completed in the first year of the program
- comprehensive exam
- thesis defence