Leading to a professional general management graduate degree, the Edwards MBA’s intensive and highly integrated format will develop management ability in an applied and useful way. A student will learn the people skills of management: how to manage oneself and others; how to communicate effectively; how to lead. The Edwards MBA is a highly integrated program designed to meet the needs of individuals whose undergraduate education has been in either business or academic disciplines other than business, and whose future careers are likely to involve managerial activities.
The Edwards MBA can be completed in only 12 months if taken full time, or part time in up to 36 months. A decidedly unique aspect of this innovative MBA program is the focused learning and integration of business concepts. Each course is offered consecutively in a modular format. Courses are scheduled in three week durations creating an intensive learning environment that immerses students in the subject area while allowing flexibility in scheduling your MBA education. Furthermore, our students learn how business concepts are integrated into business decisions through a combination of applied courses, exercises, case studies and projects incorporating each functional business area.
The Edwards MBA Program offers an optional Internship Program to those Edwards MBA students hoping to gain relevant work experience in their field of interest. The program consists of two four-month work terms starting in January of the first year of study. As an internship student who secures a work placement (placements are not guaranteed), you will register in two permission-only MBA courses (MBA 879.0 and MBA 882.0), and will be a paid, full-time employee gaining meaningful work experience related to your area of study. Learn More!
A unique opportunity exists for students to complete the M.B.A. and M.D. degrees concurrently. This opportunity is available to students accepted into the College of Medicine, allowing them to apply to and if accepted, complete an M.B.A. degree in addition to the M.D. degree. For further information on the M.B.A. admission and program requirements, please see below. For further information on the College of Medicine admission and program requirements please visit the College of Medicine website and the M.D. section of this Catalogue.
Prospective students seeking more information about the Master of Business Administration program at the Edwards School of Business are invited to visit the Edwards MBA website at www.edwardsmba.ca or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
All courses are offered at the Edwards School of Business.
- Language Proficiency Requirements: Proof of English proficiency may be required for international applicants and for applicants whose first language is not English.
- A cumulative weighted average of at least a 70% (U of S grade system equivalent) in the last two years of study (i.e. 60 credit units).
- A four-year degree, or equivalent, from a recognized college or university.
- Applicants with three-year degrees may be considered for admission. Applicants will be considered using a holistic admissions approach and should demonstrate a strong potential for success in the program through outstanding GMAT scores and/or exceptional leadership experience.
- Statement of Intent: Applicants must provide a written Statement of Intent (1000-word maximum) describing why they want to undertake the program and how their expertise, work and/or volunteer experience make them an ideal candidate for the program and their chosen field of study. This statement is a key component in adjudicating each applicant’s suitability to the program. An interview may also be required to assess language proficiency.
- Current resume detailing positions held and a description of responsibilities.
- Two years of leadership* experience. Emerging leaders who have fewer than two years of leadership experience but who demonstrate exceptional leadership potential through their professional and life experiences, are preparing for further leadership roles, and otherwise meet the standard admissions criteria, are encouraged to apply. Please ensure that you demonstrate your leadership experience in your detailed resume and Statement of Intent.
- Minimum score of 500 Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT); or completion of the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and admission to the U of S College of Medicine.
- Three confidential letters of recommendation (minimum one academic).
The Edwards MBA Admissions Committee assesses applicants on a holistic basis for admission purposes. We look at a variety of factors when making admission decisions including undergraduate degree, grade point average, work experience, GMAT score, and reference letters.
Applicants whose qualifications do not meet the minimum requirements are encouraged to contact the Edwards MBA office to discuss potential opportunities for admission. Applicants whose qualifications do not meet the minimum requirements or whose academic qualifications are difficult to assess may be admitted on a probationary status to a program. Applicants in this category will be required to participate in an interview with the Edwards MBA Admissions Committee and may be required to take certain preparatory courses to improve their qualifications. In this case they will be required to pay additional fees. The student’s status will be reviewed after a specified amount of academic work is completed. If progress is satisfactory, the Edwards MBA Admissions Committee may recommend to CGPS that the student be considered fully qualified. Students who do not achieve the probationary conditions may withdraw voluntarily or, failing this, will be required to discontinue. In certain exceptional situations, the academic unit may extend the probationary period with a new set of conditions, agreed to by the student and by the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
*Leadership experience could include (but is not limited to) one or more of the following:
- Formal leadership role within an organization or volunteer group
- Extensive, high-level supervisory experience
- Experience in consulting or negotiating change in a complex environment
- Experience leading others to shared outcomes (informal leadership experience)
For more information on language proficiency requirements, see the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Academic Policies.
- GPS 960.0
- GPS 961.0, if research involves human subjects
- GPS 962.0, if research involves animal subjects
A minimum 45 credit units including the following:
- MBA 803.3
- MBA 813.3
- MBA 819.3
- MBA 828.3
- MBA 830.3
- MBA 846.3
- MBA 859.4
- MBA 862.4
- MBA 863.2 or an approved elective from an international partner institution or an Edwards "taught abroad" course
- MBA 865.3
- MBA 866.2
- MBA 870.3
- MBA 877.3
- MBA 885.3
- MBA 992.3