The Master of Public Administration is the flagship professional program of the Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy. The program builds on the reputation and experience of a province renowned for innovation and professionalism in public policy and administration.
The M.P.A. is an exciting program designed to prepare students for success in such diverse areas as non-governmental organizations (NGOs), industry associations and, of course, the public service. Students in the program build their knowledge and skills in three critical areas: evidence and strategic thinking, connection and collaboration, and implementation and improvement.
For more information on this field of study, see the Master of Public Administration website.
- Language Proficiency Requirements: Proof of English proficiency may be required for international applicants and for applicants whose first language is not English. A minimum overall TOEFL score of 86 is required with a minimum score of 20 in each area, or a minimum overall IELTS score of 6.5 with a minimum score of 6.0 in each area, or another approved test as outlined in the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Academic Policies.
- a cumulative weighted average of at least a 75% (U of S grade system equivalent) in the last two years of study (i.e. 60 credit units)
- a four-year degree, or equivalent, from a recognized college or university in an academic discipline relevant to the proposed field of study
- a current resume that includes background and relevant employment history
- a letter of intent
- three letters of reference
Course Option - Degree Requirements
Students in the M.P.A. program must achieve a minimum of 70% in each course to earn course credit and progress through program completion.
- GPS 960.0
- GPS 961.0, if research involves human subjects
- GPS 962.0, if research involves animal subjects
- JSGS 990.0
A minimum 36 credit units, including the following:
- JSGS 801.3
- JSGS 802.3
- JSGS 805.3
- JSGS 806.3
- JSGS 807.3
- JSGS 808.3
- JSGS 838.3
- JSGS 882.3
- JSGS 891.3
- JSGS 892.3
- a minimum 6 credit units electives. Elective courses taken outside of JSGS course offerings require approval of the Graduate Chair.