First year students must register in these required first year courses. Students considering the 5-year combined B.Sc.(Kin.)/B.Ed. program are required to select INDG 107.3 and 3 credit units in the social sciences or humanities as their social sciences/ humanities elective. Students interested in teaching at the elementary or middle years level should not follow the combined program outline; rather, they may qualify for admission to Education through the new direct-entry admission process. Please visit the College of Education website for further information. Upper year students are encouraged to choose a study route in consultation with the Manager, Undergraduate Student Academic Services. The Exercise and Sport Studies route allows for the greatest flexibility in course.
- Students interested in pursuing the Professional Health and Fitness stream should take the following courses: KIN 381.3, KIN 382.3 in Year 3. These courses must be completed in order to apply for the KIN 481.6 practicum in this area. See the Manager, Undergraduate Student Academic Services for more information.
- Students interested in pursuing the Leisure and Sport Administration stream and the KIN 471.6 practicum may also be interested in pursuing a Certificate in Business or a Certificate in Entrepreneurship. See the Manager, Undergraduate Student Academic Services for more information.
- KIN 398.3, KIN 498.3 and KIN 499.6 are the course numbers given to courses that are being piloted in the College of Kinesiology. These courses can be used towards college electives within the College of Kinesiology in the Exercise and Sport Studies Route and the Exercise and Sport Studies Route (Honours).
Bachelor of Science Honours Program
The College of Kinesiology offers an Honours Program in Exercise and Sport Studies to students of proven academic ability, providing them with an opportunity to pursue a more advanced program of studies within this area of specialization.
Students will apply to the honours program in Winter Term of Year 3; contact the Manager, Undergraduate Student Academic Services for the deadline for applications. The requirement for acceptance into the Honours program is an average of at least 75% in the last 30 credit units taken. All courses taken in a given term will be included, and in the case where more than 30 credit units have been taken, the total of all courses will be included in the average calculation. All applicants must have completed at least 5 of the following 6 required core Kinesiology courses before Winter Term of the year they make their application. These courses are:
- KIN 222.3
- KIN 225.3
- KIN 226.3
- KIN 231.3
- KIN 322.3
- CPPS 221.3
The requirement for acceptance to the Honours program is an average of at least 75% in the last 30 credit units taken. This includes courses taken in the Fall Term of the application year. Courses used for the average calculation are included by term. In some cases, this may mean that more than 30 credit units are used. The average will be calculated by the College of Kinesiology. Successful applicants will be notified by May 30th of their third year.
Activity Program for the B.Sc.(Kin.) Degree
KINA courses are 30 hours in duration and are awarded two credit units. The major purpose of these courses is to prepare students to instruct a specific activity. Basic skills, rules, instructional progressions, and limited technical strategies will be emphasized.
Students beginning their Kinesiology program prior to 2003 must meet the KINA requirements that were in effect at the time of their admission. These requirements are described in the 2002-2003 Calendar, and are also available from the Manager, Undergraduate Student Academic Services.
This course is designed for students who wish to specialize in a specific activity and emphasizes advanced technical considerations and coaching strategies. It will provide students with the opportunity to continue preparation for full-time coaching or technical positions.
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology [B.Sc.(Kin.)] - Exercise and Sport Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology Honours [B.Sc.(Kin.)] - Exercise and Sport Studies