This discipline examines histories of the visual arts which include photography, sculpture, painting, button blankets, architecture, video, performances, installation, film, and digital imaging, among other media. The interrelations of the visual arts, popular culture, lived cultures, and social structures are the focus of investigation.
Art History and Studio Art are considered separate subject areas. Consequently, students may take a maximum of 60 credit units for the B.A. Four-year program in each of these subject areas and 42 credit units for the B.A. Three-year program. Students completing the Three-year, Four-year, or Honours degrees also require at least 6 credit units of Drama and/or Music.
Program majors are strongly encouraged to declare a major as early as possible in their program. This will help facilitate course registration.
The major average in Art History programs includes the grades earned in:
- All ART and ARTH courses taken
Residency Requirements in the Major
To receive a degree in Art History, students must complete at least two-thirds of the following coursework (to the nearest highest multiple of 3 credit units) from the University of Saskatchewan.
- Minimum requirements in Major Requirement D4.
See Residency for additional details.
- Bachelor of Arts Honours (B.A. Honours) - Art History
- Bachelor of Arts Four-year (B.A. Four-year) - Art History
- Bachelor of Arts Three-year (B.A. Three-year) - Art History
- Bachelor of Arts Double Honours - Art History - Major 1
- Double Honours - Art History - Major 2
- Bachelor of Arts Double Honours - Art History and Studio Art- Majors 1 and 2
- Minor in Studio Art Requirements for Art History Majors